- £26,000 - £30,000 per annum - Permanent
Responsible for H&S across the site in order to meet the site’s legal responsibilities and to coordinate and facilitate activities to contribute to the site’s performance in all aspects of Health & Safety and Environment.
- Support the roll out of the National Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) strategy, ensuring that HSE best practice standards are developed and maintained on site that are compliant with statutory and company policy
- Carry out risk assessments and consider how risks could be reduced
- Outline safe operational procedures which identify and take into account all relevant hazards
- Carry out regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented
- Ensure working practices are safe and comply with legislation
- Prepare health and safety strategies and develop internal policy
- Lead in-house training with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks
- Keep records of inspection findings and produce reports that suggest improvements
- Organise and manage regular safety meetings
- Liaise with the Health and safety executive reporting RIDDOR incidents
- Record incidents and accidents and produce statistics for managers
- Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all Health and Safety Executive (HSE) legislation and any developments that affect the employer's industry
- Produce management reports, newsletters and bulletins
- Ensure equipment is installed safely
- Manage and organise the safe disposal of hazardous substances, e.g. asbestos
- Attend site during out of hours working across a 24hr business as incidents or training requires
- Advise on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases
- Ensure compliance to group policies and procedures
- Attend the Group Safety meeting
- Provide accurate, timely, legally correct and sensible business led advice to the Senior Management team on site in all aspects of the Health, Safety and the Environment
- Provide relevant monitoring data and trending for reporting on progress against relevant site HSE KPIs
- Understand, monitor and maintain the site’s performance against the requirements of the company’s HSE management system
- Drive standards, ensuring the whole site team understand their role in HSE. Promote and raise awareness, at all levels across the site, of the impact of emerging HSE issues on the business to benefit site performance
Health & Safety
- Role model safe behaviour in line with company procedures.
- Understand and implement the H&S Policy, safety standards and legal requirements applying to your area.
- Ensure all near misses, accidents or dangerous occurrences are promptly reported to site senior management.
- Ensure any hazards have been identified, risk assessed and control measures put in place.
- To drive a ‘continuous improvement’ culture within the role.
- To identify opportunities for improvement/innovation and to develop and implement action to maximise potential benefits of such opportunities for the business.
- Challenge existing practices and behaviours where these deviate from the organisations desired culture.
- Support the delivery of greater efficiency through the identification and elimination of any unnecessary complexity within business processes and identification of better ways of working
- To undertake any other duties, projects or responsibilities.
- Relevant experience in a Health, Safety and Environment role, ideally in an FMCG organisation
- General knowledge of all aspects of Health, Safety and Environment
- Good knowledge of Health Safety and Environment legislation
- Minimum qualification NEBOSH certificate and / or IEMA Foundation certificate
- Willing to attain NEBOSH diploma or equivalent
- Technician Membership of Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
- Knowledge of ISO14001, OHSAS18001 management systems would be an advantage
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written skills
- Excellent relationship builder- building rapport at all levels
- Promote safety as an enabler not a blocker